Re: top

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 03:50, Fons van der Beek wrote:
> After a lot playing around with top,accton, gkrelm I have to conclude that
> top isn't my
> "TOP" tool anymore, after trying all varies options it turned out that i
> don't see my MYSQL proces processor utilization
> I really don't know what I'am doing wrong, top used to be my favorite tool
> in quick optimizing systems / hd bandwith etc etc
> but in the current form its pretty useless to me....

Just as an FYI, I have seen one of my systems do over 700 forks/sec. I
wouldn't think that a server process like MYSQL would be doing forks at
that rate. However, I know some database software operates in
client/server mode where the process that gets spawned as the server
process only does things like manage connection and termination
requests. Have you considered the possibility that the process doing
most of the database work is a process running under the ID of the user
initiating the database connection request?

Anyway, I have noticed some strange behavior with top and ps at times.
It is possible you are running into a bug.
--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks@xxxxxxxxx>