Re: Restore Grub

Phil Schaffner wrote:

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 18:13 -0500, admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have a client that develops in both Windows and Linux. They're using desktops that used to dual boot Windows 2000 and Fedora Core 2. We're about to roll out Windows XP Pro to each of the workstations, and when I tested on one of them today, the Windows XP install wrote over the MBR and now Grub no longer comes up, just boots straight into Windows XP. I searched the archived and say "grub-install \dev\hda" as a suggestion, but when I boot off the FC2 CD, it doesnt have grub-install anywhere on the CD. Can someone give me another suggestion?

Nice that they are supporting Linux. A few suggestions in order of preference:

1.  Sell them on a cross-platform development environment (Focus of
current Linux Journal - http://www.linuxjournal.com/)and VMware (http://
www.vmware.com/) under Linux, or better yet separate dedicated systems
for testing.  Don't install Windows XP dual-boot.  Dual-boot with M$ is
a seldom-necessary evil to be avoided if possible, except for situations
like accommodating the kid's games on a home system.  Hardware is cheap
compared to the administrative problems accompanying dual-boot.

2. Make advance preparations for XP clobbering the MBR by using
"mkbootdisk --iso --device boot.iso `uname -r`" to make a bootable CD
image that can then be burned to CD-ROM, boot to FC2, and run "grub-
install /dev/hda".

3. Make advance preparations for XP clobbering the MBR by creating a
grub boot floppy : "grub-install /dev/fd0", or use attached script to
make a GRUB boot floppy with a menu, boot to FC2, and run "grub-
install /dev/hda".

4.  Boot FC2 CD in rescue mode, mount the installation under "/mnt/
sysimage", IIRC, following directions, and run "grub-install /dev/hda"
("\" is M$ notation for directory separators) after Bill Gates clobbers
your MBR.  Beats me why you say it is not there.

Phil

I just did what you suggested.  Now when I do this, I get:
/sbin/grub: Not Found