problems with mail

We recently had an extended power outage at a remote site and one of my servers was shutdown hard.

After power was restored (3 days later) and it came back up I have been having problems with mail.
I first noticed it when my daily logwatch reports were no longer being sent.
On further investigation I find that I cannot even send mail from one user to another on the same box.

I have done a complete update, replaced procmail and sendmail, rechecked all the configs in case something had gotten hosed, and rebooted several times as well as restarting services. Nothing has worked so far.

Does anyone have pointers on where to look for this type problem?