Re: KVM FYI

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Colin Charles wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 05:04, Tom Diehl wrote:
>
> > > KVM's are usually software agnostic - they should "just work"
> >
> > It would be nice if that were true. Upgrading to the latest kernel
> > for fc2 broke my mouse. Switching back to the old one fixes it again.
>
> It works when directly connected, but not via the KVM?

Yep! If it did not it would already be in bugzilla. :-)

> > It is broken in both X and the text console. Moving the mouse slightly
> > causes it to jump all over the screen. I would put it in bugzilla except
> > I know they will just close it and say kvm's are unsupported. Personally
>
> Are you running an SMP based box?

Nope, 2 year old 1.7 gig athlon on an asus board.

> If I were you, I'd still at least try putting it in Bugzilla (am lazy to
> check for "kvm" now), and see if it makes a difference. Giving details
> about your mouse, KVM, and so on will help

I suppose it is worth a shot, although looking in bugzilla the suggested
fix is psmouse.proto=bare, which will kill the wheel. Not much better IMO.

The problem for me is there is no way to know what kind of kvm to buy. Even
one that works today might be borked tomorrow. This switch is about 3 years
old and until now has worked flawlessly. I wish I had a good solution for
this. :-(

Tom