Re: Re-Order Nic Cards

Chris Stankaitis wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, David Both wrote:

There are a couple ways.

The better way is to edit the ifcfg-ethx files which are located in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/. The sample (filename = ifcfg-eth0) below shows what I am talking about.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth but that seems a wee bit too easy.. what if anything do I need to do about my modprob.conf

cat /etc/modprobe.conf
include /etc/modprobe.conf.dist
alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 via-rhine
alias eth2 epic100

how do those ethX relate to the ifcfg-ethX in sysconfig/network-scripts? Is Modprob saying eth0 is the 3com and then ifcfg is saying No it's eth4 (as a bad example)

I had trouble relating to these entries not actually matching the settings in network-scripts for the devices. In fact, the mismatch led me to believe that my 3com was bad (rev B). The values that neat (system-config-network) had were different from the settings that modprobe.conf contained.

Anyway, I edited modprobe.conf with gedit and corrected the settings.

What happens when you run service network restart with the wrong values is that if one NIC does not come up properly, you blame the wrong device.

You should be able to edit modprobe.conf by using an editor, then setting up new devices using system-config-network

You might also want to run hwbrowser to see what the devices are assigned as.

Jim

--Chris

--
Your true value depends entirely on what you are compared with.