Re: Re-Order Nic Cards

Chris Stankaitis wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, David Both wrote:

There are a couple ways.

The better way is to edit the ifcfg-ethx files which are located in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/. The sample (filename = ifcfg-eth0) below shows what I am talking about.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth but that seems a wee bit too easy.. what if anything do I need to do about my modprob.conf

cat /etc/modprobe.conf
include /etc/modprobe.conf.dist
alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 via-rhine
alias eth2 epic100

how do those ethX relate to the ifcfg-ethX in sysconfig/network-scripts? Is Modprob saying eth0 is the 3com and then ifcfg is saying No it's eth4 (as a bad example)

-
Yes, the modprobe.conf specifies the ethX device associagted with the specific driver. the /etc/sysconfig/netowrk-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 should match that in /etc/modprobe.conf

Note: the DEV=eth0 line is *not* driver specific, but is rather device specific. Thus, regardless of which device drivers is aliased as eth0 in modprobe.conf, that device will be configured by the settings in /etc/sysconfig/netowrk-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 ( or rather the one that contains the DEV=eth0 line).

However, I would use the system-config-network tool to verify/reset the tcp configs after verifying the entries in modprobe.conf and rebooting.

--Chris