Re: How do you recover from a borked compile?

Etanisla Lopez-Ortiz wrote:
While I have found many references and notes on how to compile Fedora's kernel, I have found no reference or note on how to recover from a borked compile.

I'm running the original '358 kernel, as yumming the '427 and '435 is not working out. (This is your cpu on drugs.) Just for kicks and giggles, I downloaded the 2.6.7 kernel from kernel.org and tried to compile it for 8k stacks.

I did something wrong, as make ended with:
No module sata_sil found for kernel 2.6.7, aborting.
mkinitrd failed
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make: *** [install] Error 2

Your kernel compiled fine.

You get the above error because in /etc/modprobe.conf you have an alias for the module called sata_sil but you didn't select that modules (or compiled it directly in the kernel) when runing make menuconfig.

1. Run make menuconfig and choose Silicon Image SATA support (under SCSI drivers) as a module and recompile.

2. If you are sure you have all the kernel drivers needed to boot compiled directly into the kernel (instead of modules) ignore the error and comment out the sta_sil line in modprobe.conf and run make install again. Then remove the initrd line from /etc/grub.conf .

My question is, is there anything special I need to do before trying to compile this again, or can I just wipe out my linux-2.6.7 directory and start over from scratch?

Inquiring user wants to know...

--Etanisla