How do you recover from a borked compile?

While I have found many references and notes on how to compile Fedora's
kernel, I have found no reference or note on how to recover from a borked
compile.

I'm running the original '358 kernel, as yumming the '427 and '435 is not
working out. (This is your cpu on drugs.) Just for kicks and giggles, I
downloaded the 2.6.7 kernel from kernel.org and tried to compile it for 8k
stacks.

I did something wrong, as make ended with:
No module sata_sil found for kernel 2.6.7, aborting.
mkinitrd failed
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make: *** [install] Error 2

My question is, is there anything special I need to do before trying to
compile this again, or can I just wipe out my linux-2.6.7 directory and start
over from scratch?

Inquiring user wants to know...

--Etanisla