Re: sendmail problem

On Sat, 2004-06-12 at 11:02, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> First of all, I'm using evolution as the client.  I have no idea what
> you mean by mechs, but I guess I'm using whatever the Fedora Core
> default is, unless that is altered in /etc/mail, and I have no idea what
> 'saslauthd' is.  I checked the dates on the files in /etc/mail against
> the dates in my backed up /etc/mail from the server PC and found that I
> had not extracted them over correctly.  I have now fixed that.  Now when
> I try to send mail from outside my domain to inside it, I get the mail
> returned from my domain's postmaster saying

> <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>     (reason: 553 5.3.5 system config error)

> 553 5.3.5 espersunited.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
> problem?)
> 554 5.3.5 Local configuration error
>
> Please don't flame me.  I'm under a lot of stress.  This network is all
> I have and it's not working right at the moment.  I'll try to delete all
> traces of replying to other threads in the future, but I can't use
> evolution's address book because the address-book backend crashes every
> time I try to use it (a topic to be saved for a different thread) and I
> can't be expected to remember email addresses for the twenty or so
> mailing lists I'm subscribed to...
----
- we all operate under time pressure constraints. Learn to deal with
them gracefully please, they don't excuse failures to protocol,
rudeness, etc.
- In the header of every email is the sender and the 'replyto' - click
the reply to in Evolution or any other mail client will create a new
empty email (no address book required) and no hijacked thread. A system
administrator should know this.
- sendmail is struggling because your dns loops.

from outside world...
# host espersunited.com
espersunited.com has address 68.15.193.18
# host -t MX espersunited.com
espersunited.com mail is handled by 10 espersunited.com.

Only you can check inside of network.
My guess is that you need to configure that machine to accept mail for
espersunited.com

/etc/mail/local-host-names #should contain things like...
localhost
localhost.localdomain
espersunited.com
www.espersunited.com