Re: Computer Shutsdown

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 05:51, Darryl Luff wrote:

> > <http://messenger.yahoo.com/>
>
> My duron 1.3G does the same thing as soon as it hits around 70 degrees
> C. I improved it a bit with a bigger fan, but it still does it. I've
> been told that my particular chip runs the hottest of the AMD's, and
> that later models make a lot less heat. By running it with the side
> cover off it runs a lot cooler, so I can do kernel compiles no worries
> now. But anything like Setiathome, video processing, or encoding a batch
> of MP3's causes a reboot.
>
> I know yours isn't an AMD, but on the AMD web site there is a good PDF
> that runs through how to design a good cooling setup. Sorry I don't have
> a link handy, but I think I found it through Google.

1) For what it`s worth, many people put big heat sinks on their CPS`s
and fail to realize that they need to vent the hot air to the outside.
(This is why many towers have multiple fan spaces in the case.) It does
little good to circulate hot air in the case!

2) Most power supplies can't put out continuous rated power and many can
only safely put out two thirds rated power without overheating.  (I used
to test and do failure analysis on network/computer systems, including
over 500 power supplies of various makes.) They can under-volt or
over-current and cause a reboot or shut the system down.
---- My advice -- Generally name brand and/or the heavier the better.
--
jludwig <wralphie@xxxxxxxxxxx>