Computer Shutsdown

Hello,
I have this problem. When I compile something big..kernel recompile, my computer p4, 512MB RAM, heats up, and the computer shuts down.
Can anyone suggest me what do do, to avoid such shutdowns, Kernel recompile, we all know is important. My question might sound stupid, but what shall I do to avoid such things. It wouldn't happen in other OSs. I am sure you have some remedy for this behavior of my computer. Can I do something for efficient cooling of the system?
Perez.

Do you Yahoo!?