Re: Computer Shutsdown

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:38:58PM -0700, John perez wrote:
> Hello,
> I have this problem. When I compile something big..kernel recompile, my computer p4, 512MB RAM, heats up, and the computer shuts down.
> Can anyone suggest me what do do, to avoid such shutdowns, Kernel recompile, we all know is important. My question might sound stupid, but what shall I do to avoid such things. It wouldn't happen in other OSs. I am sure you have some remedy for this behavior of my computer. Can I do something for efficient cooling of the system?
> Perez.

How do you know it's heat that's shutting the system down? Are you
getting an error message saying the system is overheating? A P4
should be capable of slowing itself down to avoid themal damage
(most of the time, at least).

I'd suspect a physical problem. Check that the heatsink is firmly
in place, and not clogged with dust. Make sure the heatsink is on
correctly. Does the case have sufficient ventilation? Make sure
fans are clear and operational.

I don't really think it's something specific to Fedora unless
you're saying you've done kernel compiles on other versions of
Linux and Fedora is the only one that causes problems. I could
be wrong, but if it were me I'd get in the box, reseat the
heatsink with new thermal compound (or get a friend to do it if
you aren't sure how), and make sure everything mechanical checks
out.

Hope that helps,
  Jeff