Re: network sniffer

Chadley Wilson wrote:
On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 16:43, Scot L. Harris wrote:

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 10:24, Chadley Wilson wrote:

Hi ther fellow penguins,

could some give me advise please,

I would like to use a tool in the consol with an interface that allows
me to monitor connections throughout my intranet. It need to be able to
intercept telnet and rlogin connections and display output from those
connection.
What can I use that is secure?

Something like ethereal?

But that won't do you much good in a switched environment unless you
have admin privileges on the switches and spent time to learn more about
general networking.

And if you are trolling for clear text passwords that is just not nice.
:)

I have banned the use of rlogin and telnet and the other insecure tools
and need to be able to catch employees using them.
As we have had a few crakers on our network previously.

My training instructor showed me a tool that ran in terminal with a blue
background that actually listed all active connections on the network
(intranet in my case) he selected one and showed us how the text was
transferred unencrypted, but I can for the life of me remeber what it is
called.
Any ideas.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Cole's Law:
Thinly sliced cabbage.

Depending on your switch, you may be able to do some filtering and blocking of these in the switch.
--
Robin Laing