Re: repost/wishlist item: FC2 libata/system response with busy disk

My CPU is not overworked so renicing doesn't help.  I'm sure it is a libata thing.  Under my self compiled kernels > 2.4.24 my sata disk came up as hde and I could tune it using hdparm (not that that really made a difference over auto-configured values anyway) but as hde my system did not have quite such serious slowdowns.  It seems to me that there are 2 development tracks for sata - ata & scsi emulation (the latter libata).  The latter doesn't work very well on my system.  Hey, but the FC2 test kernel 2.6.6 actually booted my system unaided for the first time for any FC kernel.  Perfomance still hasn't improved, though, but I'm just happy it is now working at all.  Unlike some on this list that I get way too annoyed with, I'm running on the leading edge of not only Redhat's efforts, but in many ways Linux itself so I'm happy to put up with some of these things and wait until a bright spark can fix the problem.  The only thing I can give back is to report my problems.

I'm not entirely sure, but hdparm for ATA devices gives an option to unmask the irq.  To my knowledge this allows the system to handle things even if the hard disk is ultra busy.  Perhaps it may have something to do with acpi - i.e. the way the kernel handles hardware interrupts?