Re: repost/wishlist item: FC2 libata/system response with busy disk

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 09:02, Marc Lucke wrote:
> I have posted this before and gotten precisely nowhere.  So I thought I
> would put it back up and also put it out there that a fix in the next
> kernel update would make me very happy.
>
> The problem:  when my disk is very busy - like when using dvdauthor - my
> computer stops responding to everything else.
> Relevant Hardware:  Gigabyte 8IPE1000Pro2 m/b + SATA disk (ICH5, 865PE)
> History:
> (0) had FC1 running with self-compiled > 2.4.24 kernels and the system
> saw my SATA disk as hde
> (1) system booted from FC2 CD just as it did for the FC1 by loading
> ata_piix (& necessary dependencies)
> (2) system would not boot from installed kernel
> (3) thanks to the Fedora IRC channel I found out how to modify the
> initrd to get my system to load ata_piix
> (4) system now uses libata and sees my SATA disk as sda
> (5) with my hdd recognised as hde (see note 0) has hde my system would
> respond to smtp & web requests a bit more slowly, but it still worked.
> As sda it will actually timeout connections to port 25 under load
> (6) posted all sorts of requests to this list but I think step 3 is
> beyond most on this list, let alone this problem
>
> I'm not complaining.  Just if someone exists that knows above can
> respond or else it can it be added to some developer's wishlist?  I'd
> love to get FC2 working like I had FC1 working with kernels greater than
> 2.4.24
>

> Marc
I had same problem with mencoder.

Why don't you renice dvdauthor to a lower priority so that your mouse
and other bits of the OS can still function?
It worked beautifully. :-)
I used
renice 5 -p 3203 (3203 being the PID for mecoder at the time)
Chadley Wilson
Soon 2 B RHCE
Linux Rocks
Welcome to my world.
Enjoy the adventures of Linux
Linux is easy, lazy people critise, curse and fail.