Re: FC2 Memory Requirements

On 06/07/2004 02:19 PM, John Wendel wrote:

On Monday 07 June 2004 11:13 am, Paul Vandenberg wrote:

I just saw that FC2 has a minumum memory for graphical mode as 256MB,
with a recommendation of 512MB. Mandrake 10 has a minimum of 64MB with
128MB recommended. What gives here? They have similar software
included don't they?

Paul

I've got FC2 running well on a old 128 MB PIII here. It could use some more memory to reduce swapping, but it is completely usable, just a little slow.

Regards,

John

And as a regular Mandrake 10 user at home, I'll add that Mandrake with 64 or 128 would most likely be pretty slow, too. Of course you can do a very minimal install. Probably it's more about what they expect you to install. Fedora is a little more about "testing," while Mandrake is a little more about "using," and Fedora is a little more about servers while Mandrake is a LOT about desktops. In both categories there's an implication that you'll have more installed and running at the same time on Fedora. Not that you have to.