Re: more kernel problems

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 10:54, Andy Green wrote:

> > > The RH kernel RPM stashes a config-<version> file in /boot for every
> > > install. If you copy this to the kernel source directory as .config, and
> > > I think run make oldconfig (I have been doing this, whether it is truly
> > > necessary I do not know), your compile will have the exact config options
> > > of the Redhat kernel.
> >
> > Mmm...so your hint is: recompile and do a diff between 2.6 config
> > version and 2.4? Something like this? I may try...
>
> No, I only meant to show how you can easily get the same 2.6 kernel config
> situation as Redhat used into a stock kernel.org 2.6 kernel, since you
> mentioned you would not know "what features to turn on".  Possibly your samba
> misery is coming from updated samba packages and not the kernel at all.

Well, i don't think so. If i run a 2.4 with FC2 i have no problems. When
i switch to 2.6, here comes the pain....

> > BTW: still trying to understand what is going on with X. I read that
> > some Nvidia guys are having problems (as usual) and are waiting for
> > drivers. They have my same problem.
>
> Your video hardware is also nVidia then?  And which X driver are you using?

No, i have a AT 128 something. I am writing about it in another post.
Somebody gave me a couple of useful hints.

The real problem is: if i can't properly use samba, i can't use FC2 at
all because i can't accomplish my company procedures. Bleargh... ;)

I'll try to see what diff i can find between the two different kernels,
though i think it isn't really clever - i mean, 2.6 doesn't have so much
to do with a 2.4...let's try.

Thanks again

E.

E.