Re: Fedora Core 3 Wishlist

Am So, den 06.06.2004 schrieb Ankit Malik um 13:30:
> Fedora Core 3 Wishlist
>
> Just keep adding your wishes to it in points if possible
>
> 1. Faster KDE
> 2. Faster GNOME ( its too slow for me right now)

Tell this to the KDE/Gnome developers.

> 3. Support for my ATI Mach 64 GX @ 1024x768 (! That depends more on
> XORG than Fedora Core)

If you are hoping for the ati proprietary drivers: No way! Please read
the Release Notes. Quote: "The results from this project include Fedora
Core, a complete, general-purpose operating system built exclusively
from open source software."                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> 4. KDE menu Editor to be fixed

KDE menu editing works for me for single users, the global (all users)
menu has to be edited according to freedesktop specificatisons (IMO a
good thing, for it's compatible with gnome and other desktops), this has
been discussed a lot on this list.

> 5. Standby to work in my PC 9its not working)

APM? ACPI? DPMS? Works4me (TM).

> 6. Better and stunning graphics ( like SUSE)

??

> 7. Some software similar to 'Mandrake Control Gallery'  or YaST'

system-config-*, system-control-*
What are you missing?

> 8. MP3 support  (!!!!! out of the box :or atleast post the link where
> we can get it from : it will be easy for newbies then : www.gurulabs.
> com/ ..........)

There is already the MP3 placeholder Plugin trying to explain the
situation. Same as #3, this issue has been beaten to death on this list.

> 9. Ice WM

It's available at atrpms and at icewm.org, maybe it's going to be in
fedora-extras next time. But it will not become part of fedora-core, has
been discussed on fedora-desktop-list several times.

> 10. Remove obselete applications as muchba s possible

??

It's on the way: http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/docs/

> 12.  More video playing softwares 'out of the box'

Agreed, but I think it's kind of logical there ain't no video software
in core: If you don't have codecs to play dvds, qt, divx, and so on you
won't need a video-player in core.

> 13.  Super Karamba"out of the box'

Agreed (IMO it's still to buggy.)

> 14. RPM Files Manager :In FC2 its just by command FC1 was better

No. Associate *.rpm files to system-install-packages, everthing is as is
it used to be since RH8.

> 15. Plugins for Mozilla etc. preinstalled as in Lycoris

Damn, did you read the release notes? Has been beaten to death!

> 16. Information for newbies RE filesystem during install so that they
> can choose the best FS in the beginning.

How do you expect a "newbie" to know what the best filesystem is? These
options are only available for advanced users, who know what they are
doing.

> 17. Gdesklets 'out of the box'

Agreed, but since there gkrellm IMO it's not really necessary to have in
core.

> 18. Mozilla Firefox 'out of the boz' (!!!!! how many 'out of the box')

As long as there's no stable release mozilla will be default browser.
For example there are only a few language packs available and most of
the are buggy.
Has been discussed on this list (!!!!! how many 'has been discussed'
;-))

> 19. KDE Panel can be customized much better

??
KDE upstream problem. The only thing I'm missing is icon zooming on
mouse over. You will need original KDE icon sets for this.

> 20. Voice Chat software ( i cant find any right now anywhere)

Gnome-Meeting?

> 21. Support for Microphone (it was there in FC1)

It's still there.

> 22.  Better CDROM Device Mounting (its next to broken in FC2 :-(    )

?? No problems here, GNOME or KDE?

> 23. UP2DATE Should be gixed :::PLEASE >>>>>>

??

> Phew! that is all ... please post yours ..

Please be so kind to read the release notes before you complain about
things, ok ;-)

Christoph