Re: FC1 -> FC2 Update: DISASTER!!!

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 09:40:10PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Brant Katkansky wrote:
>
> > rolling back to the previous release is simple.  If there's any interest,
> > I'd be happy to publish a HOWTO detailing the technique (which works well
> > for fresh installs too, BTW, as the old /etc et al can be mounted from
> > the old install and configurations copied or merged).
>
> Can you "roll back" from FC2 to FC1?
> I'd certainly be interested to know how you can do it.

Without having good backupes, doing a fresh install or performing some advance
preparations, not that I am aware of.

In a nutshell, the process that I use is this: the operating system and
user data is kept on separate LVM volume groups.  Prior to the FC2 upgrade,
I created a new LVM volume group for FC2, and cloned all of the OS
logical volumes to it (/boot is shared between both environments).  Make a
copy of the FC1 kernel (the FC2 upgrade will remove it), create a new initrd
for the FC2 environment, update /etc/fstab to reflect the new device names
(possibly commenting out any user data filesystems), add entries to
/boot/grub/grub.conf to reflect kernel and initrd location.  Test
to ensure that you can boot into both environments.  Perform the upgrade on
the new FC2 volume group.

To roll back, simply boot back into the old volume group.  Once the upgrade
has been proven, the old volume group can be reclaimed and used for the next
upgrade.

Performing an OS upgrade (any OS) is necessarily a very dangerous operation
and should not be attempted without a plan for rollback should the upgrade
go south.  Not much help if you've already gone and done the upgrade without
these preparations, I'm afraid.