Re: FC1 -> FC2 Update: DISASTER!!!

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 12:18:43AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 18:55, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> > On 04/06/04 Antti Aspinen said:
> >
> > > However I don't usually upgrade Linuxes and this is just one example why
> > > not. I make allways a clean installation. I suggest to you when you
> >
> > I would just point out that Debian upgrades just fine. I think that
> > Fedora should strive to meet that standard.
> ----
> In my opinion, it definitely does. When you change sources and apt-get
> dist upgrade on Debian, similar things happen.

Just another data point:  My primary system was upgraded from FC1 to FC2
last weekend, and although I have since rolled back to FC1, the upgrade
went very weel (the rollback was due to some issues probably unrelated
to the upgrade).

I have had very good results with upgrades - this particular machine was
originally installed with 8.0 and was upgraded through every RH and
major FC release without incident.  Other machines have upgrade histories
back to RH 6.x.

That being said, I do like to do full OS installs rather than upgrades
when the machine being updated has little or no local customization
(e.g. it's a network client, and the customization is simple or
resides elsewhere).

One large disclaimer on upgrades though:  I *never* do one if I cannot
roll it back to the previous known good release.  While the process that
I use it to complicated to detail in *this* email, it involves duplicating
filesystems to an alternate LVM volume group and performing the upgrade
on the copy, leaving the original installation untouched - but it requires
giving some thought to upgrade issues at the time of the original install
as well as good software and volume management practices, issues which
are often overlooked on desktop installations.  Using this technique,
rolling back to the previous release is simple.  If there's any interest,
I'd be happy to publish a HOWTO detailing the technique (which works well
for fresh installs too, BTW, as the old /etc et al can be mounted from
the old install and configurations copied or merged).

Experience has also taught me that mixing software management techniques
is something to be generally avoided, and managed carefully when it can't.
In other words, I use rpm/apt-get/yum to manage RPM packages from selected
trusted sources, and generally avoid building from source when I can.  When
building from source is unavoidable, care is taken to not create conflicts -
source-build software is installed outside the RPM directory space in
/usr/local or /opt.  This approach has served me well, but of course
YMMV.

It's worth pointing out that these issues are not releated to Fedora
per se, nor even specific to Linux.  Even the mighty M$ is not immune
to upgrade issues arising from poor software management, etc.  Personally,
I always do a fresh install when dealing with M$ products.  Too much
legacy cruft and potential for conflicts are left behind during upgrades.