Re: Hardrive clicking / Kernel issue or daemon ?

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 20:01, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 03 June 2004 21:57, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> [lemme do a huge snip here]
>
> >That's the best explanation I've heard of. Though I'm really curious
> > on where you got that info. I work in a HD company and yet I'm
> > oblivious to that "feature"
>
> On other mailing lists, from people at the drive makers.  Also, I'm a
> C.E.T., FWTW (not a lot, it just shows I'm more hardware than most).

What's C.E.T??

> >BTW, this is a laptop 5400rpm drive. It has got NO place to go with
> > better cooling. :(
>
> Ouch, so you haven't a really hot drive, 5400's weren't normally that
> hot running, but one that isn't well enough cooled, or is possibly on
> its way out. :(

It's less than a 1+ month old. It's 80GB choke full.

Man.. Don't crash.. but the smart and stuffs says it's OK

> What happens if you prop it up for a couple of inches worth of air
> under it?  Lots of those things sit right down on the table, as if
> they're trying to use the table for a heat sink.  Wood and similar
> stuff isn't so good at that :)

Actually, usually the prob will go away once I restart.

I've not idea if it'll also happen in Windows. I rarely Boot XP and when
even if I do, I've not idea what to do to heat it up..

I can't (or rather, don't dare) go internet on XP. It's SO... outdated..
(patch wise)