Re: Filesystem corruption, data loss on usb drives, and more problems with FC2

Andy Green wrote:

But looking closer at your error reports, it is reminding me of something I read a few weeks ago about max packet sizes, or max buffer sizes for different USB <-> ATA chipsets? Some can handle 128KB, some 64KB, something like that. I think it was someone's patch reducing the limit in kernel sources on a ml I was looking at.

Well, it seems like usb-storage still has a way to go even in Arjan's kernels. While things are better for some people, I can reproduce the bug with 100% certainty. Let's hope things improve soon.

Thanks for the strace tip.  It was hanging trying to connect to an
unresponsive network printer through cups.  I deleted this printer from the
cups list and that did it, but I'd argue that OO should recover more
gracefully from this kind of problem.

Glad I was of some help. Yeah it should be more graceful.

As I mentioned, kprinter was being a victim of the same thing. I'm also seeing now various problem reports about OO, so this is probably going to rise in priority quickly. I don't have time now to trace the problem too deep, but I suspect it's somewhere in cups, since a config cleanup and restart of cups 'unfroze' both kprinter and OOffice.

Display doesn't shut off
------------------------

ACPI prob? Maybe try to fiddle with ACPI=blah on kernel commandline.

I'll try a few options and see what happens.

I get the same behaviour as you on some laptops and not others here. Makes me think it can be (video) BIOS or video driver related as well as ACPI.

I tried a bunch of combinations of apmd/acpi on/off and nothing helped. For now I give up.

In summary:

usb-storage: BROKEN, reproducible.
OpenOffice, kprinter hangs: most likely caused by cups problems.
Display power management: broken, reported by others also.

I'll definitely wait for a few weeks with this test box before even considering putting FC2 on the rest of our machines.

Again, many thanks for all the help.

Regards,

f.