Re: usb storage and FC2

Emiliano Brunetti wrote:
On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 12:17, Alexander Apprich wrote:

[snip]

What does

    locate usb-storage

or (as root)

    modprobe usb-storage

Say?

I guess you may be right. usb-storage is indeed present, but not loaded
automatically. I can insert module usb-storage, and it gets properly (i
presume) 'linked' to scsi_mod. However, if i try to mount /dev/sda1, i
still get errors: it says it is not a valid block device (which is fals,
it works perfectly on FC1 and other linux systems).

Do you know that your device _is_ sda1? If it's connected try (as root)

   fdisk -l

and see if there is something that looks like your USD-Device...

AFAIK there was a bug with usb storage in 2.6.5. An upgrade of your
kernel might help.

That is exactly what i am running. So, i should compile a new kernel?
Mmmmm...this is not really on the idea of a desktop distro, isn't it?
But i wonder if i am the only one experiencing such a problem. I mean,
memory sticks are quite normal, aren't they? Are you all using kernel
2.6.5.1-358 wihtout problems?

Don't know if there is an updated kernel availible via yum/apt. But for testing there is nothing wrong with taking a vanilla kernel from kernel.org.

Yep, USB-Memorysticks a quit normal, but with a kernel bug even
something normal can be a pain in the ...

Thanks

E.

Alex