Newbie trying to upgrade Mozilla 1.4 to 1.8a -- Not succeeding!

Hello from Malaysia,

I'm brand new with Linux (Fedora Core 1) but a long-time user of Netscape. I'm trying to upgrade the Mozilla 1.4 that came with my Fedora distro to 1.8a. Being new at Linux, I've searched the Forum and tried what I found for advice but it's not working for me. I can't seem to uninstall 1.4 (which is recommended by Mozilla's release notes) using rpm and -e and -Uvh; and the installer won't create a new directory for me to install in (usr/local/mozilla). When I tried using the command line, it said I didn't have permission to create "mozilla" in the usr/local directory. I am the root and know the password, so ...?

Any help would be appreciated.

Todd Nelson
Kuala Lumpur