Re: Initialise sound card at startup -& aRts and non-aRts aware programs

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:41:04 -0700, Keith <ac7xc-lnx@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 11:55, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
Hello list,

My sound card is cmpci8738,recognised at install time and configured.It is
working,but the problem is,it seems to need a hard initialisation which
the system doesn't seem to give it at startup.Though I have all system
notification sounds turned on,I hear no sound when I launch KDE or GNOME.I
run xmms,it plays,I do not hear a sound.In the Mixer,I can see volume is
not muted and is 50%. If I run Mplayer,it starts the sound for me,and if i
run xmms afterwards,now I hear the music!

Your system either running using OSS, ESD, TOSS or ARTS(KDE) you need to go into your settings and select the one you want to use. This is similar to selecting a sound system in windows. If you start Mplayer in a X-terminal it should tell you what sound server is started. In KDE you can select the sound system in the control panel. In XMMS you may need to open the output plug-in and select the sound system to use. You may need to enable and disable others. I use ESD because ARTS does not play nice with my ESSSOLO1 sound card and when I play real-player or WMV files my sound card locks up. I don't know how to select the sound system in Gnome 2.6, but look around the control panel. A note when you are playing with the sound system have everything closed on your desktop, you can lock up your computer and you don't want to lose important data. It sounds like you just need to set the sound card up in X and everything will be fine. You should also set the sound to 100% in the mixer application then lock it and use the media devices volume control or speaker control to adjust the volume.

Good Luck.

Best Regards, Keith

Hi,

Sorry to trouble again.I have tried enabling OSS in KDE Control centre.And aRts too.The sound doesn't come initially.The trick I have discovered is to run Mplayer and let it start the sound.Once it starts,I can get all the system notification sounds.

One problem here is aRts doesn't let Mplayer talk to sound card.I set it to "auto suspend",and run mplayer during such suspensions and let it start the sound and then I heard system sounds.After a few sessions,now aRts refuses to 'auto suspend' and if running,doesn't let Mplayer start the sound.Neither does it do that.I do not know what went wrong.Mplayer and Xine and xmms do not seem to be aRts-aware.

Regards,

Parameshwara Bhat