Re : Re: [FC1] Insufficient rights when trying to shut down

---- Original Message -----
From: "Ow Mun Heng" <Ow.Mun.Heng@xxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 11:15 AM
Subject: Re: [FC1] Insufficient rights when trying to shut down

On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 09:09, MuÃoz Aparicio, Esther wrote:
> Everything is working fine as root, but now, every time me or my
> husband try to, for example, shut down the computer (when logged as
> ourselves), Gnome complains that we have insufficent rights. The same
> happens with any program that used to ask for root password when
> invoked from Gnome: the pop-up message says "Insufficient rights" and
> that's all.
 That's cause to invoke the shutdown command,
you have to be root! Unless of course you grant access
to the "shutdown" command using sudo.
 Alternatively, you can try "poweroff" or "reboot"
which works w/o needing root admin rights.
 (it's a security hazard but if it's your own PC, it's
deemed ok)
 HTH
 cheers,
ow

Out of the box, you must be superuser to use "reboot" or "poweroff". In run
level 0 or 6 they call shutdown with the appropriate flag ie -h or -r. Example
output below:

[mlm@paddles mlm]$ reboot
reboot: must be superuser.
[mlm@paddles mlm]$ poweroff
poweroff: must be superuser.

Mike
My system is Fedora1 and I can shutdown from the Login page without questions being asked.Of-course I haven't tried to shutdown from Gnome session,but from the log-in page I have always shutdown (i.e.,being neither root,nor user).

I have suffered FR's strange (because irrational and unnecessary for a desktop PC) security logic a lot , but on this never. But,this restriction is meaningless because you can always switch off at home,unlike a distant admission prohibited server room

Granting the above case,shouldn't it ask for super user password and if supplied,shut mouth and do the bidding ?Fedora developers appear to be just unable (or unwilling ) to acknowledge that Linux is no more a network / server only OS and the security logic for a PC Desktop should be based on a different footing ? More delayed the hangover, longer rules the Redmond (does anybody who is somebody in RH reads this ?)

Parameshwara Bhat