Re: floppy procedure

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 04:30, xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Thursday 03 June 2004 04:17, Scott Talbot wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 09:31, wrench38@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > It seems rather silly to have to ask this, but I haven't found the
> > > whole answer in one place on the web. Does Fedora come prepared to
> > > read and write floppies right out of the box? I need a step-by-step
> > > procedure with nothing left out. If someone can point me to this,
> > > it would be a tremendous help. My drive can only be mounted by root,
> > > and seems to be always busy. Can I drag & drop to copy a file to
> > > floppy? You may have guessed that I'm new to this. Thank you.
> >
> > 	I don't use the floppy much, but basically if you want to be able to
> > mount the drive edit the /etc/fstab file so that the line includes the
> > keyword 'users' as:
> >
> > /dev/fd0      /mnt/floppy         auto    noauto,users 0 0
>
> Shouldn't that be 'user' ??

	there is a slight distinction between them.  Ive been using users since
forever, and since I am the only user, it probably doesn't matter too
much.  I assume that users allows an alternate user to umount another
user's mount to use his own though this could be wrong I suppose.  From
th MAN doc:

user   Allow  an  ordinary  user  to mount the file system.  The
       name of the mounting user is written to mtab so  that  he
       can  unmount  the file system again.  This option implies
       the options noexec, nosuid, and nodev (unless  overridden
       by   subsequent   options,   as   in   the   option  line
       user,exec,dev,suid).

users Allow every user to mount and unmount  the  file  system.
      This option implies the options noexec, nosuid, and nodev
      (unless overridden  by  subsequent  options,  as  in  the
      option line users,exec,dev,suid).

Scott