Re: Control Shift C - copy or unicode entry?

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 12:27, Steffen Kluge wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 08:30, Nigel Tao wrote:
> > Unfortunately, my application (Eclipse) is expecting Control-Shift-E
> > (and Control-Shift-F) to accelerate a menu option, and is not receiving
> > it.  Is there anyway to disable the Control-Shift-starts-unicode-entry
> > feature, since I do not use it?  Or somehow make the app over-ride?
>
> Dunno, but you could use a compose key instead. Select "Right Alt is
> Compose" in keyboard preferences. Then press <Right-ALT>, "a" and "e" to
> get æ. Don't hold the <Right-ALT> key while pressing "a" and "e".

Neato - never knew this existed.  Still doesn't fix my original problem,
though.  :)  In the meantime, I have simply changed the relevant Eclipse
bindings to Control-Alt-E, etc.  On a side note, Evolution seems to
capture Control-Shift-E (looks like schedule-a-meeting), unless keyboard
focus is in a textual widget.

Under the Gnome Keyboard Preferences, I also found the "Shift with
numpad keys works as in MS Windows" option, which has been bugging me
for months - I have a laptop and attached a USB number pad keyboard for
my spreadsheet work, and the "shift-numpad4 yields 4 instead of
selection-moves-left" was driving me nuts.

The "Keyboard Preferences" help subheading "10.10.4 Keyboard Layout
Options" refers to the "Keyboard Layout Switcher" manual, but I can't
seem to find or even google it.  Does anyone out there know where it
lives?

ta,
Nigel.