FC2 - Error activating XKB configuration

When I login at the console, I get an error "KDSKBENT: Invalid argument
failed to bind key 255 to value 1188".  I don't know if this is related
to the next error or not.

Then when I type "startx", I see a window with:

Error activating XKB configuration.  Probable internal X server
problem.  X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation
60700000

If you report this situation as a bug, please include:

-the results of xprop -root|grepXKB
          This yields "-xprop:unable to open display"

-the result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb
          This yields:
            layouts = [us]
            model pc105
            override settings = false
            options = []

----
Anyone understand what's going on here and know how to resolve?  Is it a
problem with the keyboard?  It's the standard Dell keyboard that came
with my 600SC server.  Thanks!  - John