Re: Beep gone in FC2?

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Joshua Andrews wrote:

> After inserting the module I have a beep in a tty and in gnome-terminal,
> as root, but KDE apps refuse to beep.
> I have tried everything I can think of, all the settings I can find.
>
> If I "run command" from the main menu; `echo $'\a'` I get a beep but so
> far that is it. In konsole if I run the same command all I get is a bell
> icon no beep no matter what the system bell settings are adjusted to in
> konsole configuration or in Control Center bell configuration.
>
> It may be very Pavlovian but I sure miss those beeps!

To get a PC speaker beep from all KDE apps, bring up Control Center,
then look for the System Bell item.  You want to tell KDE to _not_ use
system notification for bell events.  I think you uncheck a box to do
this.  Once you uncheck it, you'll see sliders to adjust the volume,
pitch, and duration.  Click Apply when you're done.  Note that this
change will affect only newly launched KDE apps, not ones that are
already running.

If you want KDE's system notification feature to produce most beeps
through your sound card, you can still have konsole use the PC
speaker.  To do so, bring up the Settings menu, then look at the Bell
submenu.  One of the options tells konsole to use the PC speaker.  If
you want to make this your konsole default, select 'Save as default'
afterwards.

Dave
--
Dave Ulrick