Re: Grub Reinstall Problem!!!

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 07:45:37AM -0400, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> With grub, If I goofed the grub.conf so bad that I couldn't get back in,
> then the emergency/auxiliary boot floppy couldn't help, so maybe they
> didn't think the option worth keeping. But in duel boots the MOST likely
> trashing IMHO of the boot loader is the overwriting of the mbr. And in
> that case...

Grub gives you a shell where you can enter any grub command, and try to
boot from there. If you could boot with an older grub.conf, you can boot
from that shell.

> Still, it may be a moot point to me anyway. If I don't find a solution
> soon that lets grub actually boot my DrDos (/dev/hdc1) which lilo "can"
> still boot, I'll be regulating grub to a floppy boot system anyway, And
> use the "menu" enabled version of lilo from my mandrake 9.1 to maintain
> my primary mbr bootloader... (sigh, I wanted to use grub for forward
> compatibility, but losing dos, is less acceptable than losing windows
> would be)

Doesn't lilo.conf have a setting to reorder harddisks?
Try it on grub:
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

and then chainload the dos bootsector.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

--
Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.