Re: Xorg !!! And ATI

Andy Green wrote:

>> XORG is the problem:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> How did you work that out?  That's the second time in two days I see
> people
> blaming xorg as The Demon.  Why don't you find out more about where your
> problem is coming from before choosing what to curse out.

I agree with the OP.
The Xorg "ati" driver appears to me to be deficient,
at least with the ATI Rage Mobility card.
I am also unable to get more than 8 bits at 1024x480
on my Sony C1VFK Picturebook with Xorg under FC2,
whereas I had 16 bits with this screen
with XFree86 under FC1.

If I use the same config file (calling it xorg.conf)
that I used successfully with XFree86 with DefaultDepth 16,
I get a shrinking black oval which becomes a blank white screen.
But there is no error indicated in Xorg.0.log .
According to this, all is well.

In my view, that must be a bug in Xorg.

However, I'm more than happy to pursue any suggestion you might have.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366