[OT] Help: how to restore LILO/partition table

Hello,

while trying to install on a laptop, I messed up something. It used to
have "/dev/hda" (hard drive) and /dev/hdb (CD-rom).

However it happened, at a certain point during install I started
seeing messages that we would install to hdb, ie the hard drive had
become slave device.

Now LILO goes "07 07" ad libitum, I guess because it is told to start
from the cdrom. Ie, cdrom had become IDE master, hard disk had become
slave. The BIOS reported the same thing.

The problem is that now, no matter how much I play with BIOS, anytime
I power up it says again that Master is C: hard drive. And secondary
is D:...another drive. So now, I guess, the BIOS itself goes into
panic, as the secondary is a cdrom, other geometry and all, and
freezes if I let it continue.

Now, can this be something I screw up by pressing the wrong key while
reformatting (NOT repartitioning) or going through LILO steps? What?

And should/can I put things back to normal with some rescue floppy?
Which one, and what should I do exactly? So that the hard drive
returns to be seen as /dev/hda, and I can restart to install?

TIA,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti, at the server mclink.it

If you have the right attitude, interesting problems will find you
                Eric S. Raymond, "The Cathedral and the bazaar", chapter 2