Re: Win2K and FC 2 dual boot

On Sat, 29 May 2004 16:27:16 -0500
akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Aaron,

> Someone needs to get to the bottom of this. FC2 screws up the disk

It's been solved.   Fix will appear for installer at some point.   Until then
there is a perfectly good quick fix for anyone bitten by the problem.

> geometry and it is hard to believe that Windows will still run on the
> same disk.
> Below is fix which is easy and works.
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00908.html
>
> No lets be clear , Do you have windows and FC2 running on the same disk?
> Also on the disk with FC2 what does fdisk -l /dev/hd?? return?
> I would bet it returns that your disk has 16 heads not 255.
>
> I am not trying to be difficult but as the url above explains there is a
> bug and and you are the second person who says they are running a Windows
> , FC2 double boot. I have seen the bug on our machines and it is hard to
> see how once FC2 is installed that Windows could run if the fix is not
> applied..

A vast number of people have no problem with Dual boot after installing FC2
because  their disks are already set to LBA mode.   If your disk is set to LBA mode,
you'll never notice a problem or have to think about it.   This should take care of a
large  percentage of people trying to dual boot.   The rest just have to enable LBA
mode in the BIOS after-the-fact or run a quick fix that returns the CHS settings to 255.

The problem is really that windows seems to use LBA values for CHS even when
the disk is not set to LBA mode.   Therefore when Linux "corrects" the CHS values
to the actual disk geometry it causes a problem for Windows which is expecting
LBA style (Heads = 255) values.

HTH,
Sean