Re: using libmilter, milter-spamc and spamassasin

On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 15:21, John Walsh wrote:
> Scot,
>
> >From: "Scot L. Harris" <webid@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> A direct reply to your email failed ?

Not sure why that would fail.  Been using that address for many years
now.

> The reason why I didn't want to use procmail was because I thought it
> would mean that I missed out all the emails that were just forwarded
> by the virtusertable entries - and I want to provide spam filtering to those
> external users too.
>
> But, I'm coming round to the idea of using procmail to do this forwarding
> (instead of sendmail/virtusertable) and so then procmail/spamc becomes
> a very good option...
>
> So YES, please do send me any helpful info you have on this.

Below is the relevant portion of the /etc/procmailrc file.  After
following the installation instructions I had found that messages were
being processed twice by spamassassin so I added the check for the
Spam-Status header in the rule.  I also added the -u spamuser options so
that spamassassin is invoked with the spamuser permissions and uses the
database located in /home/spamuser directories.  The second rule dumps
all messages flagged as spam to the spamusers mailbox for later review.
Highly recommended for first time setups. This gives you a chance to
review flagged messages for false positives.

:0fw
* < 256000

# Move all mail scored as spam will be sent to the spam user
:0:

> I'll be working on this over the long weekend, so may have it done by
> Tuesday, but please send your stuff anyway - it will be good to see if
> I did it the same/better/worse way ?
>
> My first problem - getting procmail to do the local delivery for/from
> sendmail... using maildir format...

We are using mbox format but I think you can get it in maildir format as
well.

When I get a chance to find the documents and links I used I will post
them for you.  I think I used the spamassasin.org site for most of the
information I used to implement it.

Good luck.  I think once you get it setup you will be pleased with the
results.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid@xxxxxxxxxx>