Re: using libmilter, milter-spamc and spamassasin

Scot,

From: "Scot L. Harris" <webid@xxxxxxxxxx>

A direct reply to your email failed ?

> My intension is to get spamassasin to process ALL the emails that pass
> through my sendmail,
> even those forwarded on to external email addresses through
> /etc/mail/virtusertable...

I setup a sendmail server for a business using spamassassin via
procmail.  I noted you did not want to use procmail for this.  But you
may want to reconsider it.  They way I set it up sendmail calls procmail
for all messages.  In procmail you call spamc to process the messages.
At this point you can grab all spam and put it in a separate file or
pass it on to end users to let them process it.  In my case I dump the
spam to a dummy spamuser.  This is reviewed periodically for any false
positives (no real false positives so far).  It also becomes a pool of
messages to train the baysian databse with.  I also use the this
spamuser as the one to run spamc as.  This way I have a single database
on the system which is kept under the spamuser home directory.

Has worked well.

Not at work right now so I don't have the links to the documents I used
to get this setup.  Will try to remember to post that for you if you
want it.

The reason why I didn't want to use procmail was because I thought it would mean that I missed out all the emails that were just forwarded by the virtusertable entries - and I want to provide spam filtering to those external users too.

But, I'm coming round to the idea of using procmail to do this forwarding
(instead of sendmail/virtusertable) and so then procmail/spamc becomes
a very good option...

So YES, please do send me any helpful info you have on this.

I'll be working on this over the long weekend, so may have it done by
Tuesday, but please send your stuff anyway - it will be good to see if
I did it the same/better/worse way ?

My first problem - getting procmail to do the local delivery for/from
sendmail... using maildir format...

Thanks,
John.

Want to block unwanted pop-ups? Download the free MSN Toolbar now! http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/