Re: feedback to NVidia [was: Nvidia Drivers]

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Paul L. Allen wrote:

> Just clarifying here.  By a stock 2.6 kernel, do you mean a source
> tarball from kernel.org?  That's a pain, but if it's what I have to
> do, I'll do it.

Yes, you have to download the tarball from kernel.org and recompile.  Make
sure you add the following to the .config file:

   CONFIG_4KSTACKS = n
   CONFIG_REGPARM = n

Apparently the FC2 kernel has been modified and you can't use these with
it.  It's the 4k stack that's causing the problem.

>I just joined the list this afternoon.  I bet there's been some
>discussion that I missed.

Now that IS and understatement!!!!  If you want to see check the archives.

> I installed the Nvidia 5336 driver onto whatever kernel came with FC2
> and it appeared to install OK.  But if I start X, the system locks up
> hard.  I have to pull the battery to get it to let go.  The machine's
> a Dell M60 with Quadro FX video hardware.  Since running the nVidia
> installer, if I run the machine without X, I get frequent "Badness in
> interruptible_sleep..." messages.

The 5336 driver won't work with the FC2 kernel.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer