Re: Mozilla problem after upgrading to FC2

James Wilkinson wrote:

>> However, the fault is really the same,
>> as the colours "leak" onto the panel and the rest of the desktop.
>>
> What do you mean by "leaking?"
>
> If you mean that the rest of the desktop suddenly starts using the
> same colours, how deep is your display?
>
> If that doesn't make sense, can you post the results of
> grep DefaultDepth /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I have indeed got DefaultDepth set to 8.
This seems to be necessary to get Xorg working
with the ATI Rage Mobility P/M "card" on my Sony C1VFK Picturebook.
(I had DefaultDepth set to 24 under FC-1, and this worked perfectly.)

> I'm guessing that you've only got 256 colours (8 bit depth). If you
> have, then this is an old problem inherent in sharing 256 colours
> between several programs.

It doesn't seem to affect any other programs.

> Try reconfiguring your graphics to use more colours.

As I said, this is not possible.
Someone suggested dropping the "dri" option,
but I just tried that and it had no effect.

If anyone is running Xorg with ATI Rage Mobility
I would very much like to hear from them.
There seems to me to be a fault in the "ati" driver,
which will only work with 256 colours as I said,
though it seems unlikely to me that this has anything to do
with my Mozilla problem.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366