Re: How to use NVIDIA Official driver on Fedora

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 13:53, Sean Estabrooks wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2004 13:38:00 +0100
> Frederic Soulier <frederic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Well I guess it makes a lot of business sense to cross-license, buy a
> > license for something you don't have, etc... instead of developing
> > everything from scratch.
>
> We're talking about priorities.   When you reward companies that
> do things that aren't in the best interests of the future of Linux
> you're not helping Linux.
>
> > Ok so it's recommended because:
> >   a) It's cheap
> >   b) It's supported by Open Source drivers
> >
> > I agree b) is important.
> >
> > But what about a card recommended because:
> >   a) it's top of the range
> >   b) loads of features fully supported
> >   c) 3D drivers on par or better than windows counterparts
>
> If you sell out the hope of long term gains for some immediate benefit
> you haven't really won anything and the above benefits will evaporate
> very quickly.
>
> Would you buy products from a company who used slave-labor-class
> workers in remote parts of the world just because they had a cooler
> logo or a more padded sole?   Sometimes the best decision isn't the
> easiest one.

Well, on a philosophical level I totally agree with you but just to
throw some oil on the fire ;)

  - how do you know for sure you're not using/buying something made
    by a company using slave-labour?
  - would you still leave in a country where a group of people robbed
    this very same country from the true president?
  - do you think it's ok to have the olympic games in China?
  - do you think you eat good stuff, non-polluted, non-modified and so
    on?
  - haven't you bought any pepsi or coke at all? do you think they're
    the most responsible corporations in the world?
    Dou you drink only tap water? Are you sure the tap water you're
    drinking is not polluted?
  - What about Nike?
  - How do you know that a company producing nice graphics cards with
    nice open source drivers is not using some components made by a
    a supplier that doesn't care about not polluting water when making
    these very components :(

This could go on and on. My point is if you wake up and start digging
deep into these major issues and their ramifications then you may as
well stop living :)
Life's too short mate.

Sorry for being really really off-topic for this list.

--
Frederic Soulier <frederic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>