Re: How to use NVIDIA Official driver on Fedora

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 13:22, Sean Estabrooks wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2004 07:16:41 -0500 (CDT)
> "Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 May 2004, Paul wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > And ask them to make the drivers open source (GPL) rather than the nasty
> > > way they have them currently.
> > >
> > They can't.  They're constrained by the licenses of third-party modules
> > that they include (in hardware or software, I don't know).  If they tried
> > to open-source their drivers, they'd be breakng the law.
> >
> > Ben
>
> Who cares what the reasons are?   Maybe they'll try a little harder in the
> future to not let themselves get so tied up by third parties.  Lets just find
> someone who can and stop making excuses for these companies.  Check
> out what Warren Togami from RedHat recently recommended:

Well I guess it makes a lot of business sense to cross-license, buy a
license for something you don't have, etc... instead of developing
everything from scratch.

> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-May/msg05039.html
>
> Where he says:
>
> ------
> I highly recommend "Built by ATI" genuine Radeon 9200 specifically,
> because it is fairly cheap, and supported by the Open Source drivers
> of xorg-x11 in FC2. It worked fairly well for me in FC1 after updates too.
>
> Do some research about exactly which Radeon 9200 to buy though,
> because I read something about the "SE" version not working.
> --------

Ok so it's recommended because:
  a) It's cheap
  b) It's supported by Open Source drivers

I agree b) is important.

But what about a card recommended because:
  a) it's top of the range
  b) loads of features fully supported
  c) 3D drivers on par or better than windows counterparts

--
Frederic Soulier <frederic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>