screen flicker with radeon

hi people

I have a Radeon 8500 graphics card and I am experiencing screen flicker with Fedora Core 2 (also in Fedora Core 1). The flicker is only horizontal and it only seems to occur with in a range of 1.5 cm above and below the mouse pointer (ie. 3cm). The flicker is intermittent and there doesnt seem to be anything obvious that I can do to deliberately reproduce the flicker. Needless to say - if i try to read an article on the web, (eg. one screen full of text) I will see the text flicker approx 10 times in 2-3 mins. My resolution is 1024x768 and my refresh rate is at 84Hz. I have the same specs in winblows xp and I don't have any problem with flicker.

As you can see this is almost intolerable and my eyes are starting to rebel ... I found one of them at the back door this morning trying to escape! I don't want to have to go back to windows or change my graphics card ... but if I don't want to wake up one morning - look in the mirror and see that my eyes have run away - then I'm gonna need to figure this out.

I found this for suggestion for suse (coz suse 9.1 does the same thing ...) but it didn't help at all.
http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/sliesch_radeon80.html

Is anyone else having this flicker problem or does anyone have any other suggestions?

pantz

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!