RE: FC2 - No eth0

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 13:11, Betti Ann & Preston Smith wrote:

> How do I go about setting CONFIG_NET_ISA?
>
> In another thread Phil Shaffner mentioned ,
>
> QUOTE
> Looks like at best you will have to locate or build the ne kernel
> module.  If I read the .config correctly it's not selected by default.
> Need to select "Device Drivers/Networking support/Network device
> support/Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)/Other ISA cards/NE2000/NE1000 support"
> in gconfig.
> UNQUOTE
>
> What is gconfig and how do i activate it?  I tried running it in both a
> user and root (via su -) terminal and it is not recognIzed?
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> Preston

I'll give it a shot.  There's probably a simpler way to build only the
module you want, but I've found building the kernel from source will
mitigate some problems.  This is from memory, I have not built a kernel
in a week or so.

1.  Become root (su - and enter root's passowrd)

2.  cd to /usr/src/linux-(some kernel revision).

3.  cp configs/kernel-(some kernel revision)-i686.config .config
(provided you're running on a single processor pentium class machine).
Otherwise look in the configs directory and copy the correct file.

4.  make oldconfig, and answer any questions by taking the defaults.
There probably won't be any questions.

5.  make gconfig and go to the Device Drivers/Networking Support/Network
device support/Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) section.  Click on the
triangles.

6.  Find "Other ISA cards" and double-click the check box.

7.  Single-click on NE2000/NE1000... and type the letter m to build as a
module.

8.  Click on the save button in the tool bar.

9.  Exit gconfig.

10. Type make.

11. Type make modules_install.

12. Type make install.

If all goes well you will now have a new kernel and modules to your
specification.  Step 10 may take a very long time, so go eat something.

There are a lot of parameters that can be changed while your in
gconfig.  Eliminating unneeded drivers and such can significantly
shorten the make time.  But, be very careful.  If you've not done this
before then leave everything alone and enjoy all the messages scrolling
by.

Reboot and select your new kernel.  Hopefully, kudzu will detect eth0
and configure it appropriately.

Bob...