Dovecot and Evolution

I managed to upgrade my mail server from RH9 to FC2 by the seat of my
pants (involving, amongst other things, a hung boot process in RH9
that just made me decide to go ahead and do it on the main drive, but
that's another long story).

I've now installed dovecot, since the uw-imap and uw-ipop3 are now
gone.  I've got it up and running, and it seems to work, but there's
an interaction problem with Evolution (1.4.6).  I've got the
following in the dovecot.conf file:

# Dovecot can notify client of new mail in selected mailbox soon
after it's # received. This setting specifies the minimum interval in
seconds between # new mail notifications to client - internally they
may be checked more or # less often. Setting this to 0 disables the
checking. # NOTE: Evolution client breaks with this option when it's
trying to APPEND.
mailbox_check_interval = 0

...which I set specifically because I do use Evolution (at home).
 However, Evolution seems to hang when connecting, and this seems to
hang the server for any other instance of this userID logging in
and/or sending mail.  Restarting dovecot and sendmail don't fix this
problem - any suggestions on where to start?
-Don