Re: I hate mailing lists

On Sat, May 22, 2004 22:03:55 PM -0400, William M. Quarles
(walrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> "Free software is mainly developed on mailing lists. Mailing lists
> have many advantages over other forms of communication, but they
> have two weaknesses: It's difficult to follow discussions in a
> sensible way, and mailing list archives (when they exist) have a
> tendency to disappear over time.
>
> "Several mailing list archives exist, but these are all hidden under
> a web interface. Reading mail that way is not convenient. Reading
> mail as if it were news is convenient. "

I don't know about mailing list archives disappearing over time. The
other "weakness", however, is in idiot mail clients and misguided
users, not in mailing lists. Any decent mail client *supports*
threading, so it makes possible to "to follow discussions in a
sensible way".

Ciao,
	Marco F.

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi