Re: I hate mailing lists

Aaron Matteson wrote:
William M. Quarles became daring and sent these 0.5K bytes,

shrek-m@xxxxxx wrote:

William M. Quarles wrote:

As my first post on this list, I'd just like to say:

I HATE MAILING LISTS!

Why can't we have newsgroups?

i hate newsgroups

http://gmane.org/info.php?group=gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general

nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general

Why do you hate newsgroups?

I guess everyone has to hate something, but a couple people not liking
something is hardly a reason to change soemthing that works perfectly
fine.

I might suggest if these methods annoy you then please come up with
something better.

Someone already did. Newsgroups. I understand that a lot of you are suggesting gmane.org, but I find ironic that you do so while their whole mission statement points directly to the fact that two-way mass communication is inefficient with mailing lists and is meant for newsgroups:

"Free software is mainly developed on mailing lists. Mailing lists have many advantages over other forms of communication, but they have two weaknesses: It's difficult to follow discussions in a sensible way, and mailing list archives (when they exist) have a tendency to disappear over time.

"Several mailing list archives exist, but these are all hidden under a web interface. Reading mail that way is not convenient. Reading mail as if it were news is convenient. "

Instead of reading mail as if it were news, it would make a lot more sense to just have news. Mailing lists are best for one-way mass communication about what your favorite band's next gig is and for those college students who have a hard enough time just using a web browser. I think considering that we are all using Linux, we are at least computer-savvy enough to use a news client.

Peace,
William