Re: ..:: [ FC2 ] ::.. NON-CRITICAL config question.

John Courie II wrote:
Hey all, My name is john and I am brand new to linux. I can count the
hours booted into linux in my fingers, but I got sold on the F/OSS ideal
and I am going to make this work.

I installed FC2 last night and when it resolves my hostname through eth0 it is some long ass nonsense that it gets dynamiclly from COMCAST.

I want to change that to be a name I pick

I looked through the BASH manual and through a few orielly books on tcpip,
I googled and looked through some n00b forums, no luck...

How do I configure my system to have a custom name that shows up on the
prompt while still accepting and using the dynamic IP sent from comcast?

I understand that there are considerably more critical issues that need to
be adressed but I suspect that this question is trivial to many of you and
can be anwsered easily.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi John,

Please do not hijack threads. Start a new email (not reply to another) when you want to start a new topic.

You can run redhat-config-network and set your hostname there (highlight your network adapter, and click on 'edit' in the tool bar. After that, restart your network (or you may need to reboot for the hostname change).

--
John C. Nichel
KegWorks.com