Re: FC2 BitTorrent URL's

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

At 22:21 5/17/2004, Scott Burns wrote:

Let's see if I understand: I download one file by bt, and other people can connect to 6881 on my machine to download from me. I start a second simultaneous bt download of another file. Others can now connect to me on port 6882 to download the second file from me?

This strikes me as slightly loopy given http seems to be able to serve many files using just one open port...

The BitTorrent client keeps the connection open, so it ties up the port; Apache serves up lots of files, one at a time, and closes the connections so lots of clients are able to keep up with one port. If you are downloading *one* torrent, then the first remote BT client that connects to you to share that torrent will take port 6881 and keep it open for itself, the second will take 6882 and keep it, etc. Only if the first client disconnects will port 6881 be freed for another client to connect.

Make more sense that way?

I'm pretty sure this is not how TCP/IP works. If it was, only one person would be able to telnet/ftp/ssh/whatever into a machine at once. It would also mean that only one person would be able to connect to each remote torrent client at a time.

--
Scott Burns
Mirrabooka Systems

Tel +61 7 3857 7899