Re: (General Question) how to count how many files in a directory tree

Craig Tinson wrote:
Quick question for you smart bods out there

I know that "ls -1 | wc -l" will tell me how many files there are in the current directory..

how would I go about finding out how many files there are in the current directory *and* it's sub directories?

TIA

Craig
*
*

If you want to count only files in the current directory and all subdirectories, try this:

find . -type f -print | wc -l

Btw, the method you used in your email above skips dot (.*) files and includes directories, links, fifos, etc. If you don't care about that, just add the -R or --recursive switch to your ls command.