openLDAP question

I am exploring LDAP on FC1 with the desire to eventually use it to
register mail accounts for cyrus imapd service.  I am still in the
"brick wall" portion of the learning curve so I have a lot of
unanswered questions, but I will start with one.  Why are there two
(2) ldap.conf files in fedora C1? One is in /etc and the other is in
/etc/openldap.  Neither bear any resemblance to the other and both
are touched when ldap is configured from the gnome app that come with
fedora.

I am reading the OpenLDAP 2.2 admin guide dated 25 Feb. 2004 but I
must say that I am not having a great deal of success.  I anyone has
a recipe for getting a plain vanilla openldap install working that
they are willing to share then I would be most grateful.

Sincerely,
Jim
--

***     e-mail is NOT a secure channel     ***
James B. Byrne                 mailto:ByrneJB.<token>@Harte-Lyne.ca