Re: Old farts and new Linux (was: new FC1 install problems)

john@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Mon, 03 May 2004 16:00:34 +0100
Steve Searle <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Around 03:44pm on Monday, May 03, 2004 (UK time), duncan brown
scrawled:

and i don't mean to insult you in anyway, but... i wonder who's the
oldest computer literate linux user out there? i sort of have the
mentality of the hippies back in the 60s/70s, don't trust anyone
over 30 =] ... it's hard for me to believe that someone over 30 uses
linux personally, once you're over 30 you have to start thinking
more like a manager =]... then again, i'm almost over that line, but
i don't feel like i'm that close =]

Well I'm 43 and have 5 PCs/Servers in my study running Gnu/Linux.  I
started as a trainee programmer on a Honeywell maiunframe in '79.

And I know there are plenty older and more skilled than me.

Young'un.

I'll be 49 next month and I have a home network with 2 linux machines
(RH9 and FC1), 2 NetBSD machines (1.6.1), and 2 FreeBSD machines (4.8
and 5.2.1).  Oh, and one Win2k machine.  But I'm no computer
professional.  The only formal computer training I've had was a FORTRAN
class back in 1972.  The rest I've picked up on my own.

Hehe. You know it's all gone too far when your family and friends all have single sign on kerberos authentication from one of the several thin clients dotted about your home - just so they can check the web mail you have provided them....

And no - before you ask - I haven't. The kerberos authentication is happening in two weeks...plan, plan and plan.

n ;-)